Park Board Chair Michael Wiebe
Commissioner Michael Wiebe of the Green Party joins the Park Board for a first term. Commissioner Wiebe grew up skating on Jericho Pond, swimming at English Bay, and cycling in Stanley Park. He’s now a local business owner and community leader who wants to enhance Vancouver’s parks and facilities.
Commissioner Wiebe mapped out the wheelchair accessibility of all trails in Stanley Park when he was only 12 years old and later co-founded the Vancouver Lifeguard Association. With a degree in business administration, he worked for the provincial government before opening his own restaurant, Eight 1/2, based on sustainable principles, including zero waste.
Commissioner Wiebe is a director of the Mount Pleasant Business Improvement Area and a leader in zero waste, and has spoken internationally.
A resident of Mount Pleasant, Commissioner Wiebe wants to help ensure that the right decisions are being made for Vancouver’s parks, guided by evidence-based policy and the principles of sustainability.
Liaison to community centre associations
- Douglas Park Community Association
- Thunderbird Neighbourhood Association
- Gastown Historic Planning Committee
- Persons with Disabilities Advisory Committee
- Urban Aboriginal Peoples Advisory Committee
- Vancouver Food Policy Council
Advisory Committee liaison
- Trans* and Gender-Variant Inclusion Working Group
- Neighbourhood Matching Fund