Home > Home, property, and development > Building and renovating > Housing Renovation Centre
Room under renovation

Housing Renovation Centre

The Housing Renovation Centre (HRC) helps you get a development or building permit for:

  • Exterior renovations or additions
  • Major, "down-to-the-studs" interior alterations

to an existing one- or two-family dwelling or laneway house in most R zones where design guidelines don't apply.

Some typical projects we help with include:

  • Adding dormers to your roof to increase ceiling heights
  • Adding a new room or deck to the rear of your house
  • Raising or shifting the location of your house

For complex proposals that need Zoning and Development Bylaw relaxations and where design guidelines apply, contact our Development and Building Services Centre to review your proposal.

For proposals about minor, interior-only projects that don't require major upgrades, apply with our field review permit stream.

Get started with your application

  1. Do you know which zone your property is in? Find out with VanMap.
  2. Do you know what parts of the Zoning and Development Bylaw affect your renovation or addition?
  3. Do you know if you need any relaxations to the bylaw(s) and design guidelines?
  4. Do you know of any existing non-confirming elements that may affect your proposal?
  5. Did you consult with a certified energy advisor (CEA) or energy upgrade specialist?

If you answered yes to all of the above, email us to set a meeting with a planner to discuss options regarding relaxations and non-conformities for your project.

  Email your request

If you answered no to any of the above, phone or visit our Development and Building Services Centre to get started. Bring your existing and proposed plans, and a scope of the work.

Apply for your permit with HRC

After you meet with our staff and read the related documents and topics below:

  1. Download and complete the Application Intake Meeting Request form  (38 KB) 
  2. Email the form and your plans in PDF format to hrc@vancouver.ca.

We'll reply within one week with your appointment date or with advice about next steps for your application.

Contact the Development and Building Services Centre about building and zoning


Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
Ground floor
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm

Tuesday, Thursday
8:30am to 4:00pm

Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon

Sample drawing package for one- and two-family dwelling applicationsAddition/Renovation checklist – One Family Dwelling (RS Zones)